Dining at an Indian restaurant for the first time? It can be overwhelming, to say the least. But there’s nothing to worry about. As long as you are prepared for a typically vast Indian restaurant menu, with a rainbow of flavours you can choose from, you are good to go.
For most people, the challenge lies in not knowing what to expect in terms of ingredients and methods of preparation. For some others, the difficulty lies in choosing healthy options over guilty pleasures. For others still, the struggle centers on how to eat Indian food.
But no matter which of these categories you fall into, your dilemma ends here. Here is a complete guide to a typical Indian restaurant menu that you’ll ever need.
Why should you try Indian Cuisine?
Indian food is as diverse as the land it hails from- and it’s delicious. It offers a plethora of flavours you can explore: sweet and sour, spicy and creamy, bitter and savoury- there’s no end to this unforgettable culinary journey once you begin.
Alas, Indian food is generally associated with chilli hot. It’s true that spices are an integral part of Indian cooking, but that goes beyond chillies. In fact, Indian food contains flavourful spices like turmeric, ginger, fennel, cinnamon, and cumin- all of which have medicinal properties besides their unique tastes.
Dishes on an Indian restaurant menu that you should try at least once
- Kebabs: Seekh kebab or chicken kebab? You’ll have to try them and find out which one you like more. Minced meat mixed with spices and grilled over a charcoal fire- it is perfection on a plate. And the crowning jewel of Indian cuisine.
- Samosa: The slightly unhealthier cousin of kebabs, samosa has a dedicated fan following for its simplicity and versatility, more than its taste.
- Veg roll: Filled with a variety of vegetables, these bite-sized rolls can whet your appetite like nothing else.
- Tandoori chicken: Another international favourite, this is a must-try. You will fall in love with smokey chicken.
- Kadai Vegetable: A classic dish of fresh veggies and bell peppers. It’s typically a dry curry that is best enjoyed with naan or paratha.
- Chicken tikka masala: Although this is globally popular, there are other chicken curries that you can try as well. Butter chicken (milder and sweeter in taste) and chicken methi malai (made with creamy clover sauce) are especially popular.
- Pork Vindaloo: Want to experience the warmth of coastal Goa? Just have some Pork Vindaloo curry with plain rice and enjoy the cheapest Goa vacation you can have by only lifting your fingers.
- Chana masala: A vegan option that is as healthy as it is tasty. Chana is garbanzo beans (chickpeas) which is high in proteins and minerals. Enjoy it with naan or pulao.
While most restaurants have familiar options for dessert on the menu, an authentic Indian restaurant will have Kesar Kulfi, Gulab Jamun and Gajar ka Halwa right up there with Chocolate Muffins.
- Kesar Kulfi: Punjabi dessert made with milk, pistachios and saffron.
- Gulab Jamun: Soft, succulent ball-like pastries in sugar syrup flavoured with cardamom.
- Gajar ka Halwa: Luscious carrot pudding with nuts and coconuts.
India Palace Restaurant: Visit for the best Indian food in Kotka, Finland
The Indian culture is known to be amongst the oldest in the world. It may be the reason why the Indian people, over the centuries, have developed a cuisine which is also one of the best in the world. If you have never been to an Indian restaurant before, you are missing out. Come, dine at an authentic Indian restaurant in Kotka and explore the culinary gems of India.
Skeptical still? Order from India Palace Restaurant in Finland and allow us to blow your mind.